Sunday, December 2, 2007

Print Exchange

The Ridiculous Drive of Consumerism in America, 2007
Lithography

There are too many things wrong with this country today. This print is one in a series of the little things we can change on a daily basis to turn the world around. In this print, The Ridiculous Drive of Consumerism in America, I have portrayed a sight that is becoming all too common every year - Christmas in September. As a part-time mail carrier, I witness on a first-hand basis how much consumerism is getting out of hand. Every year, on the first mail days after Labor Day, the holiday catalogs come out, big-time. I see how more people than one would guess get more than 20 catalogs in a day! Tell me the world is not whacked seriously...

Honore' Daumier and George Bellows have really peaked my interest this semester. I love Bellows' quality of value in his prints. Daumier was a man heavy on sarcasm, which is always up my alley.

1 comment:

DaniL said...

Sweet, I haven't seen this one! Great commentary on materialistic obsession. It was funny, I read an opinion letter in yesterday's tribune and the person was talking about how christmas celebrates the birth of christ, so jeez, shouldn't all these snotty atheists be complaining about that since it impedes on their freedom from religion? It made me laugh because in America, Christmas=Presents...that's pretty much it :D